Friday, May 15, 2015

The Genesis of it all (Jason's perspective)

Without going into my whole life story of how I was even in a situation to meet Cara, I will sum it up by saying I was going through a rough time in life. It was my first semester at college, I came in between semesters and everyone already knew everyone and I was the new kid. I prayed for friends, and luckily my roommate was extremely friendly.

I lived in the Towers up on campus. For those of you that don't know, the Towers are the cheapest housing at USU, and there is one tower that is all men, and another all women. My roommate introduced me to all of the men that lived on my floor, and I had a group of friends in a time I really needed them.

I don't want to talk down about any of the men, they are definitely my friends, and I enjoyed my time with them, but none of them were members, and I wanted to find a group of friends that I could have the gospel as a part of our friendship.

Funny how the spirit will make things happen.

Late in March 2014 I was really looking for that new group of friends. I was eating in the Marketplace, a dining place on campus, waiting for my roommate to show up so we could go do something. He was talking with someone just outside and I finished my meal and was heading out to meet up with him.

I saw a table full of women in my ward, and Cara was one of them. My initial thought was "Hey, a group of beautiful women and I know one of them (not Cara, but a mutual friend). I should go talk to them." and my second thought was "Oof, I don't want to be that creepy guy that just sits down and barges into the conversation."

The second thought won, and I walked past to meet my roommate. Lucky for me he said he needed to eat something and I said I would find a table for us.

I got the strongest feeling to sit with this group of girls. It hit me like a ton of bricks, and I couldn't ignore that feeling.

I walked back in, sat down, and instantly hit it off with all of them. We were all laughing and joking, and I loved all of them. God had lead me to a wonderful group of friends that I am still close with today, and ultimately lead me to Cara.

Whether the spirit was prompting me to meet a good group of friends, or to meet my future wife, I'm not sure. All I know is I was suppose to meet them at that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment